Health Promoting Schools
In 2009 Beech Hill College set out to achieve recognition as a Healthy Promoting School (HPS) with the aim of becoming a school that creates a healthy setting for living, learning and working for both students and staff.
The HPS concept is a whole school approach to health and wellbeing. Studies have shown that there is a direct link between a sense of belonging to school, school attendance, educational attainment and current and future health status. In order to achieve this Beech Hill College strives to provide a healthy environment, school health education, and school health services along with school/community projects and outreach, health promotion programmes for students and staff, nutrition and food safety programmes, opportunities for physical education and recreation, and programmes for counselling, social support and mental health promotion. This is achieved with programmes and initiatives such as; The Buddy System to aid first years with the transition from primary to secondary education, Healthy Eating Policy to promote a healthier well balanced diet, The Newly Developed Fitness Suite to encourage physical activity, The Diversity Alliance Beech Hill College (D.A.B) which is a group for students of all backgrounds with the aim of achieving a more diverse and accepting school community.
Beech Hill College focuses on:
- Caring for oneself and others
- Making healthy decisions and taking control over life's circumstances
- Creating conditions that are conducive to health (through policies, services, physical / social conditions)
- Promoting healthy lifestyle choices that will help prevent leading causes of death, disease and disability such as tobacco use, sedentary lifestyle, drugs and alcohol, violence and injuries, unhealthy nutrition.
- Influencing health-related behaviours: knowledge, beliefs, skills, attitudes, values, support.
Here are a list of just some of the other programmes, services and classes run by Beech Hill College;
SPHEGuidance CounsellorWellbeing CourseAWARE talks
RSEFriends for LifePastoral Care SystemGreen Schools
D.E.A.RSchool Completion ProjectActive School InitiativeHomework Club